Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Unemployed Musician

If I had $20 for every unemployed musician in Canada alone, I would be rich! And at this moment in time I am currently "unemployed" and I am a musician, so you do the math! It can be so frustrating when you have a passion, and you put sweat and tears into your craft but yet you have to work a day job. One can easily lose their focus and creative steam when having to spend 8 hours a day doing something that you have no interest in.

Through my struggles as a music producer I've learned that one of the most important factors that divide the "successful" and the "unsuccessful" is their ability to make something out of nothing. You must be an Alchemist!

When I am jobless I rarely take down-time, but rather immediately begin planning my next gig or business idea. This blog is one of my business ideas! I try my best to stay productive and most importantly, to stay positive. It is very easy to get down or discouraged when you have no idea when you next check is going to be. So here are a few tips that I've picked up over the years that help me keep focused, and get working as soon as possible:

-Keep making music! The last thing you want to do is take a break.

-Take an entire day to write down ideas and potential business models that you can begin to incorporate as soon as possible.

-Keep making music! I can't stress enough how important this is!

-Get emailing, and get on the phone! Update your press kit or demo and start getting them out to labels, managers, other artists, etc... There are so many directories on the internet, and also some services you can pay for either monthly or annually. musicSubmit a great place to start.

-Stay active on the internet. Visit forums like HipHopCanada.com and stay in touch with your community.

-Work on anything that you have been putting off. Call your artists and get them into the studio to record.

-Stay positive, and stay focused! I know it's hard when you have bills to pay and a wife or girlfriend that is on your case to get a job, but they mean well. Don't sell yourself short!

-Nothing happens by sitting around and waiting. In my first week of unemployment I would send out on average 30-50 resumes a week. Sometimes more!

-Visit MoneyInMusic.com, this site has great articles and great resources. I go there for ideas and inspiration.

Remember, it's not the end of the world if you lose you job, or aren't getting any gigs. Keep busy and keep your brain working, even if that means sacrificing a little sleep or a saturday night at the bar to throw peanuts at albino midgets. You have to make sacrifice and you have to keep your priorities in check. If you get out of the groove it will be 10 times as hard to get back in when your "groove" is needed. Good Luck!

Respect

MrBlue
www.myspace.com/basementtheory

No comments: